As stated in the national curriculum, Scoil Mhuire Naofa, Kiltale aims to:
- To enable the child to live a full life as a child and realise his/her potential as a unique individual
- To enable the child to develop as a social being through living and co-operating with others and so contribute to the good of society
- To prepare the child for further and lifelong learning.
Within the principles of the school curriculum we have the following aims:
- To foster good self expression in oral and written English and to develop in the child a love of reading
- To ensure a good command of the Irish Language and a basic understanding of its place in our heritage.
- To enable the child to acquire an understanding of mathematical concepts and processes to his/her appropriate level of development and ability and develop problem-solving abilities and a facility for the application of mathematics to everyday life
- To foster the child’s natural curiosity, so encouraging independent enquiry and creative action
- To develop an interest in and curiosity about the past, and in doing so develop and awareness of the lives of women, men and children in the past and how people and events have had an impact upon each other and our lives today.
- To develop a sense of place and spatial awareness and also knowledge and understanding of local, regional and wider environments and their interrelationships.
- To cultivate an appreciation and respect for the diversity of living and non-living things, their interdependence and interactions through science
- To encourage the child to behave responsibly to protect, improve and cherish the environment and to become involved in the identification, discussion, resolution and avoidance of environmental problems and so promote sustainable development
- To help the child develop sensitivity to the visual, spatial and tactile world, and to provide for aesthetic experience and in doing so experience the excitement and fulfilment of creativity and the achievement of potential through art activities
- To develop an appreciation of music and through participation a greater knowledge and enjoyment of music
- To promote enjoyment of, and positive attitudes towards, physical activity and its contribution to lifelong health-related fitness, thus preparing the child for the active and purposeful use of leisure time.